Tuesday 14 June 2011

Artist Introduction


My name is Sophie Krohn and I am a grade 11 student at Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School in Kingston, Ontario. I am currently taking grade 12 Communications Technology this semester after taking Grade 11 Communications Technology last semester. Communications Technology is a class that studies different areas of media including video productions, animation, web page design, audio productions, graphic design, journalism and photography. When I took Com Tech for the first time, I was overwhelmed by the technology that Holy Cross offers in the tech department, as I am international student from Germany and have never been able to take any class like this. This is why I decided to already take the grade 12 course in my second semester of grade 11 directly after taking the grade 11 course. I see Com Tech as a great opportunity for me to discover interest in things that I would have never thought I was good at and improve my media production skills. My favourite part about Communications Technology is that we cover a variety of different areas and learn how to work with programs that most of us will need when they go off to college and university like Adobe Photoshop for photography, Adobe Illustrator for graphic design and Final Cut pro for video productions. I was nominated for this years “Photography & Graphic Design” Genesis Award and ranked second in a local graphic design contest by the Whig Standard. I also took part in this years Com Tech New York trip, focussing on exploring different media related sights in New York City. I discovered my interest in media very early as my father works for a big media corporation in Germany. Knowing that video production is something that I could picture myself going into after graduating from high school, I applied for an student internship at “filmzeit”, a German movie production company, where i did a 3 weeks internship in grade 10. After finishing grade 11 at Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School, I am going to go back to Germany for my last two years of high school. My plans for after high school are to go into business focussed on media and media science.

No comments:

Post a Comment